What happens if I violate my court-ordered supervision?

If you have recently had contact with the judicial system, there is a significant chance that you are on parole or probation.  Parole is court-ordered supervision that occurs in place of incarceration and any individual who is released from prison prior to completing their sentence will serve a period of parole.  If your maximum sentence was less than two years (you received a "county sentence"), then your parole is supervised by the sentencing court.  If your maximum sentence was two years or more (you received a "state sentence"), then your parole is supervised by the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole.  Probation is court-ordered supervision that occurs instead of incarceration.  Often, criminal defendants who plead guilty or are found guilty will serve a period of incarceration and parole followed by a period of probation.  There are strict rules and regulations that accompany court-ordered supervision and when a probationer or parolee does not obey these rules, the individual can be charged with a violation of parole/probation. A probationer or parolee may get a violation for something as simple as failing to pay the mandatory court fines and costs or for something as complicated as new charges.  A violation of probation is a separate issue from any new case that the violation may be based on and can carry stiff penalties including jail time as well as other increased restrictions on the charged individual's freedom.  Violations of probation are serious charges that should be handled by an attorney who is familiar with the process and capable of obtaining the best possible outcome in your case.  At Hark & Hark, we understand the importance of your time and freedom and will fight your case aggressively. If the violation is based on new charges, a Hark & Hark attorney can help you with both the new charges and the resulting complications in your probation or parole.  In many instances, being arrested on new charges while on parole or probation will result in a detainer being lodged.  If a detainer is lodged, even if bail on the new case is affordable, you will not be released until the detainer is addressed.  Hark & Hark attorneys regularly help clients get out on bail by litigating motions to lift detainers.  Even once a detainer is lifted, it is important to have the right representation to fight for your rights. In situations where the underlying conduct has not resulted in new charges, a Hark & Hark attorney can help protect your rights and ensure you get back on track to successfully complete your court-ordered supervision.  At Hark & Hark, our attorneys understand not only the difficulty of complying with the restriction of court-ordered supervision but also the misunderstandings that can arise during this complicated period of the individual's life. For more information check out these links: Adult Probation in Philadelphia County Adult Probation in Delaware County Adult Probation in Chester County Adult Probation in Montgomery County Adult Probation in Bucks County

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Ask About Your Options

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philadelphia Office
1835 Market Street, Suite 2626
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Toll Free: 877-442-7552
Phone: 215-665-0766
Fax: 215-665-1225
Philadelphia Law Office Map

King of Prussia Office
Valley Forge Towers
Suite 107
2000 Valley Forge Circle
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Toll Free: 877-442-7552
Map & Directions

Cherry Hill Office
1101 Route 70 West
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

Toll Free: 866-427-4552
Phone: 856-354-0050
Fax: 856-454-0440
Map & Directions

Review Us